Students calculate the amount of pesticide residue in various foods for two pesticides and determine if these levels are safe for human consumption.
Students will be able to:
- Calculate the dose of a pesticide using food intake levels and pesticide residue concentrations
- Evaluate the safety of food pesticide residue food intake levels and pesticide residue concentrations
National Science Education Standard
Content Standard A – Science as Inquiry
- Identify questions and concepts that guide scientific investigations
- Formulate and revise scientific explanations and models using logic and evidence
- Communicate and defend a scientific argument
Content Standard F- Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
Personal and community health
Arizona Science Education Standards:
Concept 1: Observations, Questions, and Hypotheses
- PO 2. Develop questions from observations that transition into testable hypotheses.
- PO 3. Formulate a testable hypothesis.
Concept 2: Scientific Testing (Investigating and Modeling)
- PO 1. Demonstrate safe and ethical procedures (e.g., use and care of technology, materials, organisms) and behavior in all science inquiry.
- PO 5. Record observations, notes, sketches, questions, and ideas using tools such as journals, charts, graphs, and computers.
Concept 3: Analysis, Conclusions, and Refinements
- PO 2. Evaluate whether investigational data support or do not support the proposed hypothesis.
Concept 4: Communication
- PO 2. Produce graphs that communicate data. (See MHS-S2C1-02)
- PO 3. Communicate results clearly and logically.
- PO 4. Support conclusions with logical scientific arguments.
Arizona Math Education Standards:
Math Strand 2 - Data Analysis, Probability, & Discrete Mathematics
Concept 1: Data Analysis (Statistics)
- PO 1. Formulate questions to collect data in contextual situations.
- PO 2. Organize collected data into an appropriate graphical representation.
- PO 3. Display data as lists, tables, matrices, and plots
Strand 5: Structure & Logic
Concept 1: Algorithms and Algorithmic Thinking
Related and Resource Websites
PULSE Resource Page on GE Foods: http://pulse.pharmacy.arizona.edu/resources/dawn_new/teachers.htm